Friday 27 February 2009

Typesetting Lesson

Last week I spend an enjoyable day with Mike, Treasurer of the British Printing Society and his two cats. He is my letterpress mentor and very kindly offered to teach me the rudiments of typesetting, using one of his Adana 8x5 printers.

I'd already read "Type and Typesetting", published by Adana, but like many people I find it much easier to learn something while actually doing it. It was useful to have grasped the basics of Ems & Ens etc in advance though especially since maths was never my strong point.

Although I'm going to be using my Adana for very simple words and phrases in my card designs, I think it's important to be shown how to print the correct way. Using a composing stick for the first time was interesting and I'm certainly not going to break any records for speed, but it was immensely satisfying to see something I'd typeset being printed.

I realise now that I should have taken a series of instructional photos for this blog, but hey ho, you'll just have to watch this fabulous 1950s video I found instead. Pay attention because there are questions at the end. Answers on a postcard please....


4 comments:

bananaicecream said...

Sounds so interesting.

Eric said...

How patient! Not my strong point! That's exactly why I'm going to be using mostly polymer for printing and very large point size letterpress fonts!!!!

B x

Gus said...

Brings back memories of university days when we hand set our own headlines because the strip machine was a cheap one and the U didn't buy the headline fonts. hehehe.

gussie's muzzer

Sarah and Jon said...

Yes, learning by doing it seems so much much easier than reading about it! Learning by making tons of mistakes in my case...!